Our Piece of the Pie, Inc. (OPP®) is a nonprofit organization located in Hartford, CT dedicated to empowering youth with the key competencies needed to overcome barriers and succeed in education and employment. The OPP path to success is achieved through Personal Development, Academic Achievement, and Workforce Readiness.
OPP provides support in:
- Personal, academic, and employment goal setting
- Healthy Habits: Life Skills and Financial Capabilities
- Options to learn and progress through alternative education opportunities, tutoring and homework help
- Certifications in areas like medical assisting and phlebotomy, CNC machinist and fork lift operation and support in pursuing a college degree
- Skills through service-learning projects and internships leading to job placement
OPP incorporates best practices and uses real-time data to hold itself accountable for successful youth outcomes.
Young People need support to
Develop & Succeed
- Personal, Academic, and Employment Goal Setting
- Barrier Reduction and Problem Solving
- Healthy Habits: Life Skills
- Healthy Emotion Management Skills
- Financial Capabilities
Young People need options to
Learn & Progress
- Alternative Education: Opportunity Academy – a place where students can fit in and succeed!
- Tutoring and Homework Help
- Post-Secondary Opportunities
- Credentials like Phlebotomy, CNA, CNC Machinist, Guard Card, etc.
- College Degrees
Young People need the skills to
Earn & Grow
- Learn how to get and keep a job
- Service-Learning Projects
- Job Placement
Who We Serve
Our Piece of the Pie serves Greater Hartford and young people ages 14-24, who have one or more of the following barriers to success:
- Under-credited and over-aged
- Child welfare involved
- Justice involved
- Low income, unemployed or underemployed.
How We Do It
Each young person is paired with a Youth Development Specialist (YDS) and together, a success plan is created. All young people who enroll in OPP services have access to our three areas of excellence.